The city plan drafted by the architect Leo von Klenze, in 1864, made provision for the demolition of this monument, in order to facilitate circulation of traffic on Ermou St. Fortunately this action was never taken.
The name Kapnikerea is associated with the profession of the founder-doner of the church. In Byzantine times the collectors of the kapnikos tax which was leveled on each chimney on a building were called kapnikeroio. The greater part of the church is built of cloisonne masonary. Dentil bands, letters imitating old Arabic scriptand marble colonnettes in the windows decorate the walls.