During the Ottoman period the church was added to the monastery of St. Catherine on Mt. Sinai, and consequently renamed in its honour. In 1882 it became a parish church, in response to the demands of the people living thereabouts. It is of cross-in-square plan with a characteristic dome of Athenian type. Visible at the edge of the square, at a lower level, is part of a Roman peristyle.
©Harry's Greece Travel Guides