Corfu Town's houses are closely packed and built six to seven stories high. Its narrow alleys or streets are known as the kandounia and its stone steps as skalinathes. There are several larger mansions of note some of which were built during the second French occupation and some by the British.
In the British cemetery, (Garitsa) soldiers memorials share the lovely grounds with wild flowers and orchids in the botanical gardens. Also interred within, are the sailors from the destroyers H.M.S. Saumarez and Volage sunk by Albanian mines in 1946.
The Liston was inspired by the Rue de Rivoli in Paris. The name Liston is a contraction of 'List On' because initially, only the islands listed richest citizens and nobility were allowed to promenade there.
British architects designed Mon Repos (for Sir Charles Adams, the 2nd Lord High Commissioner (1824-31), and later used by Greece's King George as a summer villa,) and the Palaces of St. Michael and St. George as the residence of King Tom, the first Lord High Commissioner: the unpopular Sir Thomas Maitland.
Above from left: The Maitland Ionic Rotunda, by Sir George Whitmore in the Esplanade, The Palace of St. Michael & St. George with its statue of Sir Charles Adams, and home to the unique in Greece, Museum of Asiatic Art. Lower left, The Liston with its chic and expensive cafes and stores reminiscent of Paris's Rue de Rivloi and insisted upon by Napoleon who also designed the original in Paris. Lower right: the interior of Aghios Spyridon Church wherein lie the remains of the Saint and others.
Other significant buildings include the Temple at Paleaopoli (Garitsa), The Ionian Academy, The Church of Aghio Spyridon, The Monastery of Platitera, the Old Prefecture Building, the Latin Arch-Bishops Palace, and The Archeological Museum (Garitsa).
Around Corfu | Corfu Beaches | Culinary Corfu | Corfu Culture | Corfu Golf | Corfu History | Curfu Holidays | Corfu Mythology | Corfu Transportation | Corfu Town | Useful Corfu | Photos of Corfu I | Photos of Corfu II | III